Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Yo world

Hi! This blog is first and foremost an attempt to communicate the thoughts, experiences, epiphanies and results (or lack of...) that I come by in my studies of computer vision and graphics at Aalborg University Copenhagen. I will probably also sometimes bore you with details about the everyday life of a single 29 year old wanna-be geek living alone with a 1.5MB cable connection in a two room flat in Copenhagen, Denmark...

Okay..well...These days I'm deciding on a project for my current 9th semester. In Aalborg University every semester has a theme and a rather substantial project should be made on a topic related to this theme. The theme this semester is graphics.

So I have really been thinking a lot on what to work with. Augmented reality is pretty cool...




But I have had this idea for a while that it would be hilarious to animate cartoon faces real time based on video input. I mean to apply color and texture of the Hulk to an on-screen face in real time, e.g . during a video conference. Or to animate my Second Life avatars' face via my webcam...

So I looked on the internet and found that some clever guys from Carnegie Mellon have been dealing with part of the problem before. I talked to my supervisor, Daniel, about it and it seems he's ok with the idea. Me, I think it could be a really awesome application, but it worries me a bit that it's not already out there. The project could be a very big mouthful...well, I'll keep you posted.

No comments: